Double the trouble with Roger Federer’s new twins. Seems like he is playing a whole new kind of doubles.
15 Time Grand Slam Champion and #1 Ranked Player In The World, Roger Federer & wife become proud father Of twin baby girls
Roger Federer and his wife Mirka Vavrinec, proudly announce the birth of twin daughters, Charlene Riva Federer and Myla Rose Federer, who were born Thursday night, July 23rd, 2009 in the private clinic Bethanien in Zurich, Switzerland. “This is the greatest day of our lives. Mirka, Myla and Charlene are all healthy and doing very well.”
The birthplace of Roger Federer's twins - Charlene Riva and Myla Rose
“This is the best day of our lives,” he said on his Facebook page.
The 27-year-old tennis great married Mirka in April. He announced her pregnancy in March, but it was a well-kept secret that she was expecting twins.
More than 1,500 fans worldwide sent congratulations to Federer’s Web site.
“Here comes the future tennis players,” said one fan.
“Wait 15 to 20 years,” another said. “The Williams sisters will look like a joke compared to the Federer sisters.”
Federer is not scheduled to return to the tour until Aug. 10 in Montreal. Mirka sat courtside this month when Federer won an epic, five-set Wimbledon final against Andy Roddick for his 15th Grand Slam title, breaking Pete Sampras’ record.
Federer met Mirka — born Miroslava Vavrinec in Slovakia — in 2000 when they were competing for Switzerland in the Sydney Olympics. Mirka, 31, emigrated with her family to Switzerland as a small child. Formerly a tennis player herself, she became one of Federer’s managers after retiring early due to injury.
Here are some fan’s comments to the new proud tennis parents:
- Warmest congratulations and love sent to you all! Twin girls….double the blessings! Enjoy them…I know they are surrounded by love!
- Congratulations!! You will have your hands full, but as someone who has 2 girls, I can tell you that they are the best! I hope they take after your fine example!
- So happy for you two. Charlene and Myla are beautiful names. Twice the joy with twins.
Here a few oddities surrounding the celebrity birth:
- Gamblers – British bookies Ladbrokes were offering 100-1 for either Charlene Riva or Myla Rose to win the grasscourt title just a day after their birth. 50-1 to win a grand slam as part of the same doubles team and 200-1 to take the Wimbledon doubles crown. “The twins certainly come from good tennis stock. If they are half as good as their dad they will still be a potent force on the court,” said Ladbrokes spokesman Nick Weinberg.”
- Andy Roddick twitter: “Wimbledon women’s champs in 2029-2040 …. the Federer girls: congrats to the new parents!”
- Nike is releasing shoes celebrating the Roger Federer’s twins
Nike shoe celebrating the brith of Federer's new twins